Summary of Qualifications
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented software manager/developer.
- Over 25 years of experience in software development, architecture, project leadership and hands-on technical management.
- Masters degrees in Computer Science and Business Administration.
- Track record of high quality successful software projects completed on schedule.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Strong programming skills.
- Software projects include web-based applications, web services, web site development, business analytics and predictive modeling using genetic algorithms, software test automation, bug tracking, network-based document delivery, document management, remote access, server management, and imaging, along with several middleware, developer toolkits and GUI projects.
- Databases: Oracle, MySQL.
- IDEs: Eclipse, JBuilder, NetBeans, Visual Studio.
- Web Servers: Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, Mongrel.
- Operating Systems: All versions of Windows, several version of Unix (Linux, AIX, Tru-64, HP-UX, Solaris), DOS, Amiga-DOS, VMS, RT, RSX, RSTS.
Genalytics, Inc. - Andover, MA
Chief Technology Officer
Aug 2000 - Present
- Designed and actively developing distributed, fault tolerant web applications written in Ruby, Rails, Java, using XML, AJAX, MySQL and Oracle.
- Developed several web scraping utilities for data collection.
- Responsible for overall software development, software architecture, functional and technical specifications, schedules, and releases.
- Managed Software Development team (local and remote), Operations, QA, Documentation and IT groups.
- Responsible for staffing, reviews, training, and resource allocation, as well as hardware acquisition, configuration, and allocation.
- Created coding, source code control, release and documentation standards for software development group.
- Maintained and monitored two 24x7 ASPs for our web-based applications running internally and at a Co-lo at Navisite. Technologies include Java, J2EE, JBoss, JSP, Struts, PHP, SOAP, Tomcat, MySQL, and Apache web server, on top of a large Oracle data warehouse.
- Assisted with budgetary planning and software and services purchasing.
- Performed significant portions of the coding on all software products.
- Developed graphic reporting features in Java/Swing-based Model application and the web-based Prospect application.
- Designed and developed the Java/Swing user interface for our predictive modeling application and contributed to the core genetic algorithm engine.
- Evaluated and integrated third-party software libraries for use in our products.
- Developed distributed, multi-threaded file processing utility suite using Ruby/Rails, Oracle, MySQL and Java.
Segue Software - Lexington, MA
Mar 1999 - Aug 2000
- Managed a team of software engineers responsible for maintaining and extending the SilkTest and SilkRadar products. Technologies included Java, C, C++, Visual Basic, PowerBuilder, Windows, Unix, IA64, I18N, and Internet applications.
- Responsible for creating and managing schedules, estimating tasks,
- distributing workload, performing requirements analyses, and managing engineering teams. Coordinated and prioritized development efforts, reviewed code, set objectives and milestones, and prioritized product enhancements and implementation efforts.
- Defined job descriptions, hired and trained new staff, managed skills
- development, determined staffing assignments, and conducted performance reviews.
- Personally involved in portions of the maintenance and enhancement of SilkTest, with specific emphasis on Java support.
Unifi Communications - Lowell, MA
Senior Manager, Document Applications
Sep 1997 - Mar 1999
- Managed a team of engineers comprising the software development teams responsible for 24x7 ASP providing rendering and high-volume fax delivery systems.
- Responsible for hiring, skills development, prioritization of development efforts, and performance reviews.
- Project Lead/Manager of Unifi's high volume message delivery product.
- Technical Lead of the team developing document rendering components for Unifi's Internet-based fax delivery product. This team completely rearchitected the existing NT Rendering Server and converted the software development from C++ on NT to Java on NT and Unix.
- Delivered the Rendering system on schedule while beating performance requirements by 100%.
- Lead and contributed to critical areas of Java software development.
- Architected and prototyped software for new features to existing products.
Shiva Corporation - Bedford, MA
Engineering Project Manager, Dial-In Client Software
May 1995 - Sep 1997
- Managed team of engineers working on SDK and dial-in client projects.
- Project manager of Navigator connectivity module project for Netscape.
- Handled Shiva's relationship with Netscape's engineering team.
- Worked on-site at Netscape with engineering managers to design the GUI and API software.
- Technical Lead of Internet Explorer dial-in software project for Microsoft.
- Worked on-site at Microsoft with developers to meet critical deadlines.
- Implemented Remote Access Services APIs for Microsoft to include in Internet Explorer for Windows 3x.
- Project Lead and major contributor to the Shiva Dial-In SDK.
Cayman Systems - Woburn, MA
Mar 1994 - May 1995
- Designed and implemented GUI and OLE Automation interface for remote access server product.
- Designed and developed remote access client software for the GatorAccess product.
- Developed IPX transport layer and portions of the GUI for configuration and management utilities.
LaserData, Inc. - Tyngsboro, MA
Sr. Software Engineer / Project Lead
Sep 1988 - Mar 1994
- Project lead for object oriented C++ developer imaging toolkit.
- Developed a multimedia image browser and viewer.
- Implemented an internal DDE interface to the imaging API layer.
- Wrote software that maximized image scanning and storage throughput.
- Designed and implemented a DOS-based high-speed batch scanning, quality control, indexing, and optical storage utility for Minolta Corp.
- Implemented extensive enhancements to existing imaging GUI and API products.
Logicraft, Inc. - Nashua, NH
May 1983 - Sep 1988
- Developed terminal emulation and supporting utilities for Carbon Copy.
- Implemented a DOS-based DEC VT-240 terminal emulator.
- Reverse-engineered a Lotus 1-2-3 graphics device driver for a DEC VT-340 terminal.
- Developed a DOS-based utility allowing PC users to use VAX hard disks.
- Developed GUI for Andover Controls environmental control system.
- Developed several Pascal, C, 8086, and Vax Macro Assembler applications for DOS, VMS, RSX, RT, and RSTS.
Additional Professional Experience
Newburyport Daily News - Newburyport, MA
2005 - 2006
- Served as the Plum Island correspondent for the Newburyport Daily News, a Newburyport-based newspaper owned by the Lawrence Eagle Tribune.
- Wrote articles covering local interest stories involving environmental issues, organizations, mayoral debates, etc.
Northern New England Hockey Association - Exeter, NH
2002 - 2009
2004 - 2005
2003 - 2004
- Ran a non-profit youth hockey organization comprised of several competitive youth hockey teams playing in New England leagues.
- Responsible for budget of approximately $450,000.
- Served as New Hampshire Amateur Hockey Association representative.
- Created and maintained the organization's website.
New Hampshire Junior Bruins - Exeter, NH
Ice Scheduler / Webmaster
2000 - 2003
- Served on the Board of Directors for a non-profit co-ed youth hockey organization comprised of several competitive youth hockey teams.
- Responsible for purchasing and scheduling all ice time required for practices and games over 8-month seasons.
- Served as Merrimack Valley League and Seacoast League representative.
- Created and maintained the organization's website.
Seacoast Women's Hockey Association - Exeter, NH
2000 - 2001
- Served on the Board of Directors for a non-profit female youth hockey organization comprised of several competitive women's youth hockey teams.
Northeastern University - Boston, MA
MBA - Masters of Business Administration
- Focus on e-commerce
University of Massachusetts - Lowell, MA
MS - Masters of Science in Computer Science
- Focus on graphics programming
University of Lowell - Lowell, MA
BS - Bachelors of Science in Computer Science
- Computer Science Honors Program
- Focus on artificial intelligence
- Spanish, Newburyport Adult Education, 2007-2009
- French, Salem State Continuing Education, 2003-2004
- Java Programming Language Workshop, Sun Microsystems, 1999
- Effective Use Case Modeling Strategies, Technology Resources Group, 1998
- Managing Object Oriented Projects, Technology Resources Group, 1998
- Visigenics Visibroker CORBA Development, Visigenics, 1998
- Java Programming, Sun Microsystems, 1997
- Advanced Win32 Programming for NT & 95, David Solomon Seminars, 1996
- Windows NT Kernel-Mode Device Driver Prog., David Solomon Seminars, 1996
- TCP/IP Architecture, Protocols, and Algorithms, Northeastern University, 1996
- TCP/IP Implementation, Northeastern University, 1996
- LANs, WANs, and Internetworking, Northeastern University, 1995
- Data Communications, Northeastern University, 1995
- Microsoft Windows OLE Programming, ACM, 1994
- Data Structures in C++, Northeastern University, 1994
- C++ Programming, Northeastern University, 1994
- Visual Basic Programming, Ziff Technologies, 1994
- Microsoft Windows 3.1 Advanced Features, Microsoft University, 1992
- Action Workflow Analysis, Workflow Institute, 1992
- Vax Macro Programming Language, Northeastern University, 1986